What is White Soy Sauce?
White Soy Sauce – one of the essential condiments in Japanese cuisine.
It is available in any supermarket in Japan, but may not be available elsewhere. Though it does not have a strong soy sauce flavor itself, it is used for various types of dishes, from marinating meat to dipping sushi.
What is the composition of white soy sauce?
White Soy Sauce is made from wheat and soybeans, whereas regular soy sauce is made from just soybeans. The wheat gives the sauce a lighter color and flavor.
The recipe for white Soy Sauce has been passed down for centuries in Japan, and it is still a closely guarded secret by the few companies that make it.
The main ingredients in white Soy Sauce are wheat, soybeans, salt, and culture (or koji). The fermentation process takes several months, resulting in a thick, brown sauce.
Different brands of white Soy Sauce
A few different brands of white Soy Sauce are available in Japan (I will list them later), and most of them are not readily available outside of Japan.
They are pretty popular, but there’s really no need to run out and buy them if you can’t find them easily.
White Soy Bean Brands available in Japan (not readily available outside of Japan)
White Soy Bean brand available outside of Japan (not readily available in Japan)
There’s frankly no substitute for the real thing, and you can easily make it at home (see recipe section below).
RECIPE: How to make white Soy Sauce at home
- – 1 cup wheat (or 2 cups glutinous rice)
- – 1/2 cup soybeans
- – 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- – water
- – koji (rice malt)
1. Soak wheat (or glutinous rice) overnight in water.
2. Soybeans should be rinsed and drained. Fill a pot halfway with water and add the soybeans and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce to low heat for 30 minutes.
3. Drain soybeans and add to a blender with enough water to cover. Blend until smooth.
4. Using a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth, strain the soybean mixture.
5. Combine soybean mixture, wheat (or glutinous rice), and koji in a pot. Bring to a boil with sufficient water to cover. Reduce heat and simmer for one hour.
6. Line a large strainer with cheesecloth and place over a bowl to catch drain off liquid. Pour the mixture into a strainer and set aside for 2-3 hours to drain.
7. Add reserved liquid back to strained mixture and bring to a boil again until it thickens, about 10 minutes.
8. Let cool slightly and bottle in sterilized jars.
The recipe above will make about 1 quart of white Soy Sauce. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
How to use White Soy Sauce?
Traditionally, white Soy Sauce is used for dipping sushi (it’s the soy sauce served with sushi at most restaurants around the world). However, it can also be used to marinate the meat before barbecuing or frying.
It’s often used for dishes where regular soy sauce would be too dark in color. White Soy Sauce does have a slightly sweeter flavor than traditional soy sauce, but it is not as sweet as mirin.
White Soy Sauce Substitutes
Recipes for a white soy sauce substitute: This white soy sauce substitute recipe is dairy-free and gluten-free. It’s excellent for those allergic to soy or wheat or simply looking for a different flavor profile.
· GMO-free and gluten-free: – 1 cup vegetable broth
· 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
· 1 tablespoon honey
· 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
· 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
· 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
· 3 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped finely
· salt to taste
1. Mix all ingredients, excluding salt, in a small saucepan.
2. Bring the blend to a simmer over medium heat,
3. Stirring continuously until it thickens into a gravy-like consistency.
4. It should be a little thicker than water. Remove from the heat and season with salt to taste.
This sauce will keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Other Alternatives to White Soy Sauce
There are different types of soy sauce you can use in place of white soy sauce.
1. If you have access to black soy sauce, that would be a good option.
2. Another option is to mix regular soy sauce with a little bit of sugar to create a more similar flavor profile.
3. However, if you’re searching for a soy sauce with a similar flavor to white soy sauce, you can try using light or low-sodium soy sauce.
4. You could also try using tamari sauce, a type of soy sauce made without wheat.
5. If you are looking for a soy sauce with a more pronounced flavor, you can try mushroom soy sauce.
6. You could try using fish sauce, which has a salty and umami flavor, or coconut aminos, which has a slightly sweet taste.
7. You could also use Braggs Liquid Aminos, a vegetarian-friendly white soy sauce substitute.
Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide which type of soy sauce you prefer. Just make sure to taste your dish as you go to make sure the flavors are balanced correctly.
Another thing to keep in mind is that not all soy sauces are created equal. Some brands are saltier than others, so the amount you use may need to be adjusted depending on the brand you have on hand.
Be sure to taste your dish before serving to ensure the flavors are just right.
White Soy Sauce vs Light Soy Sauce
The Differences Between White Soy Sauce and Light Soy Sauce:-
In terms of taste, white soy sauce and light soy sauce are quite similar. The major distinction between the two sauces is that light soy sauce has a slightly sweeter taste than white soy sauce.
White soy sauce is made from fermented soybeans and wheat, while light soy sauce is made from soybeans, wheat, and malt.
Because white soy sauce contains more wheat, it has a thicker consistency than light soy sauce.
Some people also find that white soy sauce has a slightly saltier taste than light soy sauce.
Which is better for you? In terms of health benefits, white soy sauce is the better choice. It contains more protein and less fat than light soy sauce.
White soy sauce also has a higher level of antioxidants than light soy sauce, which makes it healthier for you.
So, if you’re searching for a more nutritional alternative to regular soy sauce, white soy sauce is the better option. It has a similar taste to light soy sauce, but it’s healthier for you. Give it a try the next time you’re cooking up a meal!
What’s the difference between white soy sauce and regular soy sauce?
White soy sauce is made from wheat and soybeans, while regular soy sauce is made from soybeans and roasted wheat.
White soy sauce has a milder flavor and a slightly sweeter taste than regular soy sauce. It’s also a bit less salty.
White soy sauce is often used in Asian cuisine, especially in fish or poultry dishes.
White soy sauce can be found in any Asian grocery store and most large supermarkets, but it may also be called wheat-soy or Shiro (white) soy sauce.
Regular soy sauce is usually only made by the companies that make the particular brands of white soy sauce you find on supermarket shelves.
If you can’t find white soy sauce, you can substitute regular soy sauce in most recipes. However, if you’re looking for a milder flavor, you may want to try using light soy sauce instead.
Does white soy sauce have gluten?
The answer is a little more complicated. White soy sauce does not have gluten in it, per se.
However, suppose it is not made in a gluten-free facility. In that case, it may contain traces of gluten from the other ingredients that are used in the production process.
As such, it is always best to check with the manufacturer to see if their white soy sauce is gluten-free. If not, there are plenty of other gluten-free soy sauce options on the market.
Wrap Up On Substitute for White Soy Sauce
One important thing to consider before deciding to use a white soy sauce substitute is the flavor profile that you are looking for in your dish.
If you are looking for a salty, savory flavor, then using a light soy sauce or tamari may be a better option.
However, if you are looking for a more subtle flavor, then using miso or oyster sauce may be more to your liking.
It is important to remember that each of these substitutes will impart a different flavor profile into the dish that you are making.
So, suppose you are trying to replicate an existing recipe. In that case, it is crucial to do your research before subbing in one for the other.
Best of luck!